Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The ankle

I expected challenges on this trip, but this one was unforeseen. I will certainly have long-lasting memories from Sparta because I sprained my ankle. Louisa, Allie, Sarabeth and I decided to go for a run in Sparta. We were jogging down the sidewalk towards the stadium and running track when I badly turned my left ankle. It immediately swelled, and I had quite an impressive egg. The girls helped me hobble back to the hotel, and as soon as we got there, Dr. Krentz was in my room calling Spiros and making preparations for us to go to the hospital. We thought my ankle could be broken, and it certainly needed to be protected. Spiros arrived in his car almost immediately. We then headed off for the hospital, and despite my pain the ride was almost amusing. Dr. Krentz (who is tall) was cramped in the back seat, and I winced in the passenger’s seat while Spiros flew through the streets of Sparta, honking his horn at any barrier along the way. At one point Dr. Krentz told him he could slow down and that my life was not in danger. Once at the hospital, Spiros wheeled me in on a wheelchair, and we were treated immediately. This was a public hospital and certainly different than any American hospital I have ever been to. My entire treatment cost 3 euros (about $5). My ankle was x-rayed, and we were very glad to hear that it wasn’t broken. Only one of the doctors spoke (very crude) English, and he said “ligaments” and indicated with his hands that they were stretched. So I have a sprained ankle, they put me in a splint, I got crutches at the only open pharmacy, and the Spartan medical advice is to not put any weight on my bad ankle and to go back to another doctor in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment